Online Banking Scams
Popular Online Banking Scams
Popular Scam #1 - Requesting Access
The scammer will request access to your online banking account to deposit money. However, once you have granted the scammer access, they transfer money from another one of your accounts instead of depositing funds. The scammer will then claim they "deposited" too much money in your account and you need to send the money back.
Popular Scam #2 - Computer Virus
The scammer will contact you claiming your computer has a virus affecting your online banking account. In order to fix it, they need to gain remote access to your computer. However, once you grant the scammer remote access into your computer and online banking account, they are able to steal your personal information and funds.
Protect yourself from these online banking scams trying to access your account with these tips:
- Avoid using the same password for multiple sites.
- Change your password regularly.
- Use security questions that scammers can't easily find the answer to online.
- Don't provide personal information to someone you don't know or trust.
- Be cautious of the caller ID. Scammers can manipulate the caller ID through spoofing.
- Say no to scammers asking for remote access into your computer.
- Never log in to your online banking with someone else accessing your computer.
- It's always better to play it safe, which means if something doesn't feel right, hang up the phone or end the communication.
It's best not to engage if you are skeptical for any reason.
Contact us right away if you feel your information has been compromised!
« Return to "Blog"